Former PhD student (2009-2013) and Postdoctoral Researcher (2014-2015) of the GMA lab.
Current Position: Postdoctoral Researcher
ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions, The University of Queensland (Brisbane, Australia).
After ~7 years of postgraduate research experience in biodiversity conservation and ecology, including the completion of a PhD in July 2013, I have published several scientific articles in some of the top ranked journals in the Web of Science categories of Biodiversity Conservation, Ecology, Environmental Sciences and Biology. I have received grants and prizes from national and international research organisations, and have worked for universities, NGOs, and governmental agencies in Italy, UK and Australia. I have collaborated with tens of research centres worldwide for the preparation of datasets, publications and projects (>100 article co-authors). I am an Handling Editor for the journal Conservation Biology, and a reviewer for >30 international scientific journals.
- CHECK OUT MY PUBLICATION PAGES ON GOOGLE SCHOLAR AND RESEARCHGATE AND ASK ME FOR A REPRINT
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (as of 2015)
1. Di Marco, M. & L. Santini (2015) Human pressures predict species’ geographic range size better than biological traits. Global Change Biology, doi:10.1111/gcb.12834 pdf
2. Di Marco, M., GM. Buchanan, Z. Szantoi, M. Holmgren, G. Grottolo Marasini, D. Gross, S. Tranquilli, L. Boitani, and C. Rondinini (2014) Drivers of extinction risk in African mammals: the interplay of distribution state, human pressure, conservation response and species biology. Philos Trans R Soc B, 369: 20130198 pdf
3. Di Marco, M., L. Boitani, D. Mallon, M. Hoffmann, A. Iacucci, E. Meijaard, P. Visconti, J. Schipper, C. Rondinini (2014) A retrospective evaluation of the global decline of carnivores and ungulates. Conservation Biology 28: 1109-1118 pdf
4. Di Marco, M., C. Rondinini, L. Boitani, K. A. Murray (2013) Comparing multiple species distribution proxies and different quantifications of the Human Footprint map, implications for conservation. Biological Conservation 165: 203-211 pdf
5. Di Marco, M., M. Cardillo, H.P. Possingham, K.A. Wilson, S.P. Blomberg, L. Boitani and C.Rondinini (2012) A Novel Approach for Global Mammal Extinction Risk Reduction. Conservation Letters 5: 134-141 pdf
SELECTED PRESS RELEASES (as of 2015)
1. Science for Environmental Policy, Sep 2015
2. Nature, research highlights, March 2014
3. Science Daily, November 2013
4. Oggiscienza Interview, May 2012 [In Italian]
5. Conservation Magazine, March 2012